Monday, May 13, 2013

The power of a roadtrip

Alright, so we've officially made it out of the state of Washington at this point--huzaah! In the maybe 4 days it took to travel across the country, we hit every season, I kid you not. Well, maybe not spring, but 3/4 isn't too bad.
summer
fall

winter

Driving with Mom was an enjoyable experience. Anyone who knows us, knows that sometimes it can be a challenge since I'm too Type A and she's very Type B. Even my dad pulled me aside and warned me to behave on our trip out there.
my mom is the best

I think any recent grad can relate to this, and parents as well. After you graduate college, you're in a very weird place: no longer a 'child,', but barely an 'adult.' You have to redefine your role with your parents as well. They slowly become more of a friend and advisor, rather than just a disciplinarian. As a grad, you also begin to realize that they were in fact right (most of the time), and that can be a lot to swallow at once. So, while I wasn't sure how the trip would go, looking back, I'm incredibly thankful Mom came with me and helped me transition into such a new life.

Side note, and quick shoutout: on the road, each big city we stopped at for the night, I had someone there I knew and was able to catch up with. This is the perk of attending college and expanding your network...you almost have friends everywhere, and it's awesome. (think free bed if you're ever on a trip).

from the local pub in Billings
Case in point, I got to see this amazing guy, Andrew





While driving, (we're almost to Duluth, I promise), we came across the prairies of the Midwest. People were not kidding, these are FLAT. I have to admit, as someone who grew up in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley in Alaska (google it), I was blessed to grow up surrounded by mountains, and find a lot of peace in that. These prairies were so flat and empty, that I literally cried when driving. Mom was even a bit shocked and asked if I knew what I was getting myself into. My answer: kinda.

nothing. as you can imagine, it made for a riveting drive

we did find this friend though.


Well, over 1,000 miles later, and mom and I made it to Duluth.

No comments:

Post a Comment