Wednesday, May 8, 2013

#livingathomesolidarity

Boston, and the vacation were over. Back to Alaska (with the same suitcase), and back to the real world and reality of graduation.

While many of my friends were preparing to go back to school, I didn't have anything to go back to--it was only the future to plan for, which is very tricky if you have no idea what's next.

So it's simple: move back in with your parents. The good thing, to avoid the cliche, is that I didn't have to live in the basement, but as my brother reminded me, it's almost worse to have your own room. For me, it was still the dream and the adrenaline of graduation kept me going.




Surprisingly (or maybe not), a lot of my friends (and yours will too), moved back in with their parents. Enter our Jesuit education value of solidarity, which soon became a running joke and support word, especially over social media, like Twitter.

Example:  
Dinner date tonight!! With mom, dad, and people from his work.

If anything, it's great to know that other people are in the same boat as you, and spend most of their Friday nights knitting with their mom as well. 

Speaking of social media, Pinterest also became a huge part of my life (and bank account). Lucky for me, it was near Halloween, so I was able to use the holiday as an excuse to fill the boredom gap in my life. I'm talking anything and everything you can imagine...even golden snitch truffles.


Living at home though, certainly had it's perks. I spent a lot more time with my younger brother, Mike, who I almost missed growing up since I had been in college. We were able to go to movies together, avoid the parents, and take the dogs out for a walk (he will say I clung to his social group as well, but this blog isn't to promote myths). 

L-R: Amadeus (the escape artist), Mike, myself, and my adventure pup Holly (notice she doesn't need a leash)


yep, this is Michael

Other good things include blowing up pumpkins in the old microwave when Mom is gone as well, and who can say no to that? Spending time at home, no matter how much I complained (or other grads), is really a nice change of pace and for the most part, very enjoyable. Sure, you don't have a lot of friends your own age to hang around, and sometimes you fall asleep in movies before your parents, but honestly, as long as it's not too long, I'd recommend it to anyone. 

Yes, this happened. And yes, that is my Dad's hand

However, it's no good just bumming around, I did need to get out for some sanity, so I did the only natural thing: found a part time job.
 

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, I only remember Mike as "Mikey" the baby.

    ReplyDelete