Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I Think I'll Go to Boston...

So here we are, in the middle of August, not really sure what's next in life. In a very lucky raffle in January, I had won two round trip Southwest Airline tickets, and the beauty of being single means I was able to have two trips, rather than just one with someone else (blessings in disguise, right?).

After I found myself in the unknown, but back in Seattle without a plan, I riffled through my storage unit to find where I had packed the tickets (and switch some things out in my suitcase), and used it to leave a day later for Boston...might as well, right?

So I called a best friend, Erin (also known as my Steward of the Peeps when I was prez), and asked if I could just camp out with her family for 2 weeks, and boarded the plane.

While it may not be Europe, it worked for me, and I would encourage every recent graduate to take a random travel trip (even if it's just a day or weekend), while you can--especially if you don't have silly things like a job holding you back. 
Good ol' Chelmsford, MA

Erin and her brother, Brendan, as I became an honorary Foley

The time back East was fantastic, I was able to see some family members and enjoy sites that I've always wanted to go to, but never had the time or resources. Also, the best part, by far, was telling people I had graduated. No longer was I attached to a specific class in school or just a 'college student'--I was a graduate. The worst part? When they asked what's next. I'd recommend coming up with a canned response so you know how to respond, but just make sure to keep it ambiguous...that's the key to survival.


Man: "would you like a picture with a real Bostonian?" Me: "Sure, why not?"

Some of the Raymond Cousins at my Aunt's wedding


One day while driving through Downtown Boston, I received a phone call from a number in "Duluth, MN." Not knowing what to do, I decided to answer it while in the car. The lady on the phone explained she was with a school (I wasn't able to understand the name, which as you can imagine, made it difficult), and she asked if I had time for a few questions.

I assumed it would be just the basics, but it turned out being a full phone interview (remember, I'm still sitting in the car with the Foley Clan on the freeway), for a school that I had no idea the name, location, or even the specifics of the job I applied for. Good thing I majored in Strategic Communications though, and know how to fake it till ya make it.

After the interview ended, I just tried my best to remember key words so I could Google the school later if I had a callback, ya never really know...

The trip was refreshing, no doubt about that. I was able to soak up some sun, consume an embarrassingly large quantity of Dunkin' Donuts and Fried Clams, and create a lot of memories that included a lot of 'firsts' (first time cooking a live lobster!).

After that, I headed back to Alaska (still just with my one suitcase), and try to figure out what was next...

No comments:

Post a Comment